Boot kernel in custom cd

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 19 08:55:57 UTC 2005

Mandar Deodhar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have built a custom FC1 cd by removing all the unwanted rpms and
> making a single cd which suits my purpose.
>
> What i have not been able to find is how to upgrade the boot kernel
> which is used by the installer when installing the FC1. The original
> boot kernel in FC1 cd does not have support for certain things like sata
> drives or certain scsi,lan cards.
>
> Due to lack of such drivers the installation itself fails as it is not
> able to initialise the harddisk via the scsi cards.I have been trying to
> understand how to upgrade the boot kernel which resides in the isolinux
> directory of the cd.
>
> But have no success and also am unable to find any help via google.
>
> Does anybody know how to achieve this, especially as to how to handle
> the modules.dep, modules.cgz etc. Any informative link would also be
> very helpful to me.

An article describing how to create an updated FC2 distribution
(including an updated kernel) can be found at:

http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/fc2_update.htm

You should be able to use a similar procedure for FC1, though why you
would want to bother with an already end-of-line distribution I don't
really know.

Paul.