Old kernel for FC3 // need to compile SIS 80 drivers.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 19 11:18:06 UTC 2005

linux at lookit.org wrote:
> I've got already the 770 src package installed.
>
> But these files are not in it.
>
> It the 766 there are these files ... it's for that but itsn't on this mirror
>
> :(
>
> do you know where i can find the old kernel ?

OK, here's a better idea. Build the module for the latest update kernel,
2.6.11-1.14_FC3.

You'll need to be booted into that kernel, and have the SRPM for that
kernel, kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.src.rpm.

The first step is to build yourself an RPM build area:

   $ cd ~
   $ mkdir BUILD
   $ cd BUILD
   $ mkdir SOURCES SPECS RPMS SRPMS BUILD
   $ cd ~

Create yourself a file ~/.rpmmacros containing the following 2 lines:

%packager	Manu Linux Lookit <linux at lookit.org>
%_topdir	%(echo $HOME)/BUILD

Next, install the kernel source RPM into your build area:

   $ rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.src.rpm

Next, unpack the kernel sources in your build area:

   $ cd ~/BUILD/SPECS
   $ rpmbuild -bp --target=noarch kernel-2.6.spec

Finally, go back to your driver area, build and install the module:

   $ cd ~/sis18x_2.6.10_1.00.00
   $ make SCSI_SRC=~/BUILD/BUILD/kernel-2.6.11/linux-2.6.11/drivers/scsi
   $ make install

I see that the 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 kernel already contains a sata_sis.ko
module; is the one on the SIS website different?

P.S. Please don't top-post on this mailing list.

Paul.