NFS Mount Permission Denied

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Tue Apr 19 12:12:11 UTC 2005

> > perplexing

> > > fstab does not affect nfs.  Only mounting volumes.

> > denied

> > and

mod3teacher.mcaschool.net
> > denied

> > > NFS requires setup from both ends.  You said you edited the fstab
on
> > the
> > > client, but did you do the server end?
> > >
> snip
> > > Since you say this is a new client setup, have you verified the
server
> > > is exporting the volume to that client?  If you edit /etc/exports
you
> > > will need to restart nfs on the server.
> > >
> > [Tim Holmes wrote]
> > The /etc/exports does indeed have that type of line in it and is
> > successfully exporting it to other clients.
> >
> > I have tried restarting the NFS services, and it makes no difference
> >
> > TIM
> >

> The permission denied message comes from the server, not the client.
>
> You need to very carefully check what is different about the server
> config and the client config on those who can and those who cannot
> connect.  Something is different there.
>
> Maybe if you posted the contents of /etc/exports from the server and
the
> IP addresses of the clients who can and cannot connect it may give us
> enough information to see the differences.  The pertinent lines
> from /etc/fstab on 2 of the different machines may be of value as
well.

> I know that often times a fresh set of eyes sees the problem that gets
> overlooked by one used to seeing what is already there. We see what we
> _expect_ to see, and it has happened to me.
[Tim Holmes wrote]

Ok -- per the requests above here are the files

First off -- some background --

The server is our file server -- called SRVFS-01 -- a Pentium 4 2.0ghz
box -- running FC2 -- IP 192.168.0.13
The working server is VULCAN - our testbed server -- a dual Pentium 3
400 running FC3 -- IP 192.168.0.22
The non working server is SRVDB-01 - our database server a Pentium 4 2.
ghz running FC2 -- IP 192.168.0.19

The /etc/exports file from SRVFS-01 -- this is the NFS server

/home 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(sync,no_root_squash,rw)
/shared 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(sync,no_root_squash,rw)
/root 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(sync,no_root_squash,rw)

The FSTAB file from VULCAN -- the test bed server that is working

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
srvfs-01:/home          /home                   nfs     hard,intr
srvfs-01:/root          /root                   nfs     hard,intr
srvfs-01:/shared        /shared                 nfs     hard,intr

/dev/hdc                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0
0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0
0

The fstab file from SRVDB-01 -- The non working database server

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
srvfs-01:/home          /home                   nfs     hard,intr
srvfs-01:/root          /root                   nfs     hard,intr
srvfs-01:/shared        /shared                 nfs     hard,intr
192.168.0.22:/trial             /trial                  nfs
hard,intr

The Entry for /trial is a test mount that I did from the Vulcan server
to make sure that there was not some thing strange in the client, and it
mounts normally

The output from the mount -a command when run on srvdb-01

login as: root
root at 192.168.0.19's password:
Last login: Sun Apr 17 11:30:45 2005 from mod3teacher.mcaschool.net
[root at SRVDB-01 root]# vi /etc/fstab
[root at SRVDB-01 root]# mount -a
mount: srvfs-01:/home failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: srvfs-01:/root failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
mount: srvfs-01:/shared failed, reason given by server: Permission
denied
[root at SRVDB-01 root]#

thanks for your help -- TIM