Booting from a CD with USB disk

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Tue Apr 19 12:31:05 UTC 2005

After a fight and thanks to the big help of John Austin and  Simon
Ilyushchenko I managed to have Fedora Core 3 on my external USB disk.
After tweakin the initrd we had success to boot off directly from the
hard disk...but the problem is that my USB ports are not booting (even
if the BIOS says yes!!!).
So again with the help of John I had a small script for an iso file to
be burnt on a CD.
Well, now I have two kernels (the original 2.6.9-1.667 and the latest
2.6.11-1.14_FC3, that is running now..).
If  from a plain grub> with the instructions:
 > kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz......
 >initrd (hd1,0)/.......
 >boot

I boot flawlessy.

If I prepare a bootable CD with the script given to me by John with same
instructions, I successfully boot in 2.6.9 but I get a kernel panic in
2.6.11. ..Instructions were checked many times.

Any idea???

--
 Antonio
Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.2 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.2