multimedia licensing

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:53:59 UTC 2005

Most of them open for me - you might want to install Microsoft's True Type
fonts for compatibility
Craig

I have all 1200 and some odd Corel ttf fonts installed (from the Corel Draw
9 disc). You mean I need even more? I think missing fonts is not the
problem, but I might be wrong. I have Ariel, Times New Roman and loads and
loads of other standard font families.

are you sure that proselytizing is your role?

No, proselytising is not my role. I do it very poorly and am basically not
interested, because I realise that I would have to also become the personal
computer tutor of each and every one. It's when I hear the moans and groans
about having to buy software upgrades, needing cracks or bootlegged software
in order to be able to use their computers, etc, that I think how good I
have it and would like to introduce them to 'freedom', of sorts.

they don't give it away but charge a premium for it and for that premium
price, you get a non-transferable, single install and the opportunity to
endless repurchase of a minimal use license

You bet I figured it out! I bought Windows 95, then 98 and finally XP. I
began to ask myself over and over again: Why am I rebuying what I already
have and what works just fine for me? But with the Windows upgrades,
suddenly the rest of my software didn't work well or at all, and I was
forced, initially into the world of cracks and bootlegs, later into Linux.
The latter has been a good thing for me.

Re: Ogg Vorbis in Windows: So you expect Microsoft to put capabilities in
their software to support a competing technology?

Perhaps naïvely, I hadn't considered ogg vorbis to be a competing
technology. I thought it was supposed to be an open technology that would
permit everyone access to data, regardless of platform, and without the
encumbrances of licensing issues. This seems to me in the spirit of the w3c,
which is the defining body of the web.

That is like expecting a fisherman to give away their best fishing spot.

What do you mean? I just bought a mag that reveals the best and as yet
undiscovered trout stream in these parts. Says so right on the cover LOL

The problem is that Linux uses pure standards where MS uses standards they
adopt and alter...

Yes, this I am aware of. I have read some of the information on
w3c.org<http://w3c.org>,
and I recall the battles between Netscape and M$ of the past decade. That is
another reason why I like Linux/free software. It does seem to support
standards, hence promoting compatibility between platforms and users.

If you are worried about quality, MP3 isn't the way to go in the first
place.

Would be nice, but napster didn't have FLAC back then. :-) Music is just
another example of formats and the need to rebuy the same material over and
over again. First I bought lps, then I switched to cassettes, then I had to
buy the same music all over again on cd. Thanks God for napster. At least
there was some fairness in all of these changes.

I share all my documents with co-workers. It doesn't matter if they use
Office or OOo. It works.

I would like to have your confidence. When submitting a job application a
year ago, I clenched my teeth and did it in Windows because I couldn't risk
problems. It was too important. And this bugged me, because it represented a
failure. But I stand by using Linux anyway. It is getting better all the
time, as far as compatibility goes. In other respects, I feel it is
superior. Yes, I am excited about the adoption of Oasis, too.

When was Windows Media Player released for Linux?

You have come into this discussion late without reading what has already
been said.

When I had said that I didn't feel comfortable converting all my mp3 files
to ogg vorbis because I would no longer be able to share them with friends,
I was told that winamp plays ogg on M$. I responded by stating that I didn't
think M$ users would prefer winamp to W$ Media Player. Which comes back to
the proselytising issue, doesn't it?

While I'm very pleased at your enthusiasm, I'll must point out that this
misses the point of what Free software is all about...

Whoa! Gnu is expensive, all right.

As an end user, I see the point of freedom more like the way Project
Gutenberg sees it, I think (without reading their manifesto). I feel this is
the 'main event', despite your position to the contrary. It is the position
that media and culture are the domain and right of all, no matter in which
country they reside and without exclusion based on financial assets. Since
so much of what is produced in the world, information, news, culture, media,
etc, is disseminated electronically, this freedom is vital to allow everyone
access and participation. And this is only possible with free software.

The point of the Freedom is the Freedom to create...

And that makes it all the more interesting to an end user. New ideas and
improvements to make the experience richer, more convenient, innovative...

But I say yes! to html in mail (not usenet). How nice it is to receive an
occasioal photograph, a well designed letter, using colour or fonts
stylishly. That is the art of communication. A friend often writes to me,
underlining his thoughts in colours. His letters have a personal character
all his own. Mine are just plain black. As much as I enjoy good design and
creativity, I don't have the time or ability myself.

Thanks for all your comments. It is an interesting discussion.