[FC3] kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 freezes on boot

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 02:12:44 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> >>If the kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 used to work and then stopped working
> >>after upgrading to the kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 version, using the
> >>original kernel might not be of much help. There is probably a problem
> >>related to something else that you installed along with the kernel
> >>update that is causing you problems.
> >>

> > In my case kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 is running just fine when I'm quick
> > enough to switch on boot...
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Slava
> >

> What you want to do is to comment out the hidemenu portion,change your
> timeout to a higher number, say 5 seconds. You also might want to change
> the default kernel to pointing at the later versioned kernel. The number
> sequence for booting starts at zero and each entry in line goes up to
> number one and so forth. I posted my config for reference. Note
> hidenmenu is commented out with a # sign. I only have one kernel, so I
> am set as default=0. If there was an entry below this boot entry, I
> would change default=1 for the second entry and so forth.
>
> I guess you can uninstall the defunct kernel w/ the below as root and
> not mess with the grub.conf file, if it is no good for your computer.
> rpm -e kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
> should wipe out this kernel version and leave you with the working
> kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 and you can file a bug report regarding the new
> kernel not booting for your computer. The developers can guide you to
> useful information that they can track down the file with.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Jim
>
> Example: only to show default, timeout and hiddenmenu options.
> cat /etc/grub.conf
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> # hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1240_FC4)
>          root (hd0,0)
>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on 3
>          initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4.img

Here is another file that you should review:

     $ cat /etc/sysconfig/kernel
     # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
     # new kernels the default
     UPDATEDEFAULT=yes

     # DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
     DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

Edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel and change UPDATEDEFAULT from "yes" to "no"
if you do not want "default" in grub.conf to be modified.  You should
do this if you multi-boot and you want another OS or kernel to be the
default boot selection.