SICK OF STUPID OWNERSHIP RULES!!

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Apr 20 07:33:55 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 00:20, Kevin wrote:
> I am so sick of these stupid bloody ownership rules!
>
> All I want to do is share a FAT32 drive over the local
> network and allow anyone to read/write it!
>
> I don't care or want to know about GIDs and UIDs or
> any IDs, just put the thing out there for everyone.
>
> Man this is annoying.  And I don't have time to read
> through pages of stupid blood man pages either!
>
> HELP!

The price one pays for security and stability, though, is complexity.  You
can't get away from it.  And man pages are your friends.  And so is
http://www.samba.org.

In my own setup, I have a directory full of music that both my wife and I have
full access to.  The section in smb.conf looks like this:

[our_music]
path = /path/to/music
force group = crawford
read only = No
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
guest ok = Yes
browseable = Yes

Mapping to this drive in Windows is a piece of cake.  Mounting it in Linux is
a bit more complicated.  I have this line in my /etc/fstab file on my FC3
laptop:

//hagrid/path/to/music /home/richard/Music  smbfs
uid=500,gid=504,fmask=777,password="xxxxxxxx" 0 0

uid in this line is the uid of my account on Hagrid, and gid is the gid of the
group "crawford".  These values can be found by examining /etc/passwd
and /etc/group on the host computer.

Of course, that's all assuming that the FAT32 filesystem you're trying to
share lives on a Linux box.  If it lives on a Windows computer, then I have
no idea.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com