BUG: check your ntpd, it may be dead

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 04:25:26 UTC 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, David Fletcher <fm_maillists at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 Apr 2005 20:58, Michael A. Peters wrote:

>> works fine for me in fc4t2 on an older Duron chip - which is acting as a
>> time server for the rest of my lan.

fc4t2 doesn't have the problem any more, it's the 2.6.11 fc3 kernel
that's still buggy.  fc4t2's is a 2.6.12-rc in disguise as 2.6.11.  I
can't quite what fixed the problem though.  I'm not even sure fc4t1
was still buggy.  It's been a while since I filed that bug report...

> I just did a service restart and everything said OK.

That's not enough to tell whether it's ok.  The failure pattern is
that it seems to start ok, but crash instantly afterwards, such that
`service ntpd start' says it started ok, but `ntpq -p' or even
`service ntpd status' says it's not running.