Printer configuration - HP 3550

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Apr 21 15:24:52 UTC 2005

John Wendel wrote:
> I'm having no luck setting up an HP 3550 color laserjet. This is a cheap
> P.O.S. that doesn't support postscript, so it needs to use a rasterizer,
>  like ghostscript.
>
> I ran the printer configuration utility and didn't find HP 3550 in the
> list of printers, bad sign. So I went to linuxprinting.org, checked the
> specs that said the printer works perfectly, and downloaded a PPD file.
> After installing the PPD, the printer showed up in the config list.

I just purchased a HP printer and I followed the instructions that HP
had to install the drivers and it worked like a dream.  I have only
had one problem with it.  HP at least seems to support Linux much
better than any other provider that I have looked at.

I would start here.
   http://h20247.www2.hp.com/PublicSector/cache/10666-0-0-39-121.html

And here.
   http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

One thing I noticed when I purchased my printer is that there are HP
printers that have the same number but use different drivers depending
on if they are a BusinessJet or DeskJet.

--
Robin Laing