While we are on the topic of multimedia...

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Apr 21 20:17:47 UTC 2005

Pat Pleate wrote:
> I was using the "Red Hat Linux 9 Bible" and didn't
> find anything about creating DVD snapshots and/or
> ripping.
> As a common courtesy and for being honest, I'm asking
> first to see if:
> 1. Is this illegal if it's for my own, personal use?
> 2. What Linux/FC3 application exists for doing DVD
> ripping?  Is there an app on the FC3 CDs, and if so,
> which is it?  If not, are there any free apps for
> doing that (I Googled, found one thing, tried to make
> it work, but had ran into "you need this" issues that
> I couldn't resolve).
>
> I can DVD copy on a Windoze-based machine, but want to
> DVD rip on FC3.  Is this possible (more than likely
> yes, but does it require paying out some cash)?
>
> Thank you in advance for your response(s).

Copy and Rip in my opinion are different.  A copy is the exact same
and I believe that K3b can do that out of the box.  To rip, you will
need a few things that are not part of the normal CD/DVD package.
Ensure your machine can play DVD's by installing the multimedia stuff
which is another topic.

Fedora Multimedia Installation HOWTO
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_docs/linux/usr/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO.html

Then you can use mplayer/mencoder/DVDRip/transcode to rip and convert
DVD's to what you want.  I have only used mencoder and mplayer.

--
Robin Laing