Help! mouse issues

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Fri Apr 22 16:20:01 UTC 2005

I have a sony laptop with an alps touchpad. I've setup my xorg.conf to use the
synaptics driver however I also have a wireless keyboard/mouse by Gyration.

If I setup my xorg.conf like this my touchpad works great:
[snip]
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "LeftEdge" "120"
        Option      "RightEdge" "830"
        Option      "TopEdge" "120"
        Option      "BottomEdge" "650"
        Option      "FingerLow" "14"
        Option      "FingerHigh" "15"
        Option      "MaxTapTime" "180"
        Option      "MaxTapMove" "110"
        Option      "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
        Option      "VertScrollDelta" "20"
        Option      "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
        Option      "MinSpeed" "0.3"
        Option      "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
        Option      "AccelFactor" "0.015"
        Option      "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
        Option      "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
        Option      "UpDownScrolling" "1"
        Option      "CircularScrolling" "1"
        Option      "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
        Option      "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection
[/snip]

However if I plug the wireless receiver into a USB port with this
configuration then X won't start. If I use the following settings then my
wireless mouse & keyboard work however if I boot without the wireless devices
then my touchpad does not work properly:
[snip]
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
[...]

When I boot with the first configuration and my touchpad works well - and X
fails to start I get this in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

[snip]
Mouse0 no synaptics event device found (checked 5 nodes)
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "LeftEdge" "120"
(**) Option "RightEdge" "830"
(**) Option "TopEdge" "120"
(**) Option "BottomEdge" "650"
(**) Option "FingerLow" "14"
(**) Option "FingerHigh" "15"
(**) Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
(**) Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
(**) Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
(**) Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
(**) Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
(**) Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
(**) Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
(**) Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
(**) Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
(**) Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
(EE) Mouse0 no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Mouse0 Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse0"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(WW) No core pointer registered
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
     at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.
[/snip]

What I want is a single config file that will do the following:
1) run my touchpad with the synaptics driver and settings
2) allow the wireless mouse to work when I plug in the receiver without having
to edit the xorg.conf file.

Thanks in advance for your help.