general rules for partitioning

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Apr 25 14:45:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Joel wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:39:57 -0400
> Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote
>
> > On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 11:16:13PM +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > > [] /home 10% of free disk space (recommended)
> >
> > 10%? Really for most people, wouldn't this be 90%? Especially with new
> > gigantic hard drives? I can't see needing even 8GB for everything else on a
> > desktop system.....

Given a wide variability in the size and number of hard drives attached,
the size of the partitions given to the nongrowing portions of the
system should probably be given in GB instead of percentages.
Percentages should probably be given for things like /home, /tmp,
and /var .

> Which explains the lack of recommendations. Everyone has their own plans.
>
> I'm exploring Fedora Core while using it as a workstation, so I have
> lots of optional stuff loaded. As a result, I find 8GB for /usr is just
> barely enough. I tend to install things that are not RPM, and I leave
> source lying around sometimes, so I give /usr/local 4G or more.

That doesn't make the default, mostly one big lump, any better.
That does make clear the need for custom partitioning.

> And LVM is very convenient.

Quite probably.
My problem with it is that my first encounter
was in the middle of an install.

BTW it's nice that some people trim.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death