Connecting to a Win Computer with Samba

alinux no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 25 17:31:13 UTC 2005

I read the Fedora 3 FAQ about disabling the firewall to get Samba to work - so did that and can now see the other computer in my home network. However, I can't connect to it. When I click on the icon for that computer, I get the message that "The folder contents could not be displayed.  You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "Windows Network: kati".

When I did this with Suse 9 (I'm quadro booting with Win 2000, Fedora 3, Suse 9 and PCLinuxOS 8) I was asked for the username and password and got straight through. Why doesn't Samba work that way in Fedora 3? What can I do to get into the other computer which is running Win 2000? I've tried doing it from root and a normal user account in F3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=63879&topic_id=15909&forum=4#forumpost63879