can I use yum to download to a holding place and then update other machines with the dl files

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 25 19:20:57 UTC 2005

Charles Li wrote:

>Hi,
>I would like to know if I can configure yum to
>download updated to holding area and update other PCs
>with the downloaded files?
>I have 3 PCs and they all have the save software.
>Since 2 of them are at home, without highspeed
>connection, that would save me time.
>
>So, this is what I want to do:
>- use yum to download to a holding directory
>- use yum to update PCs from holding directory
>
>Is this possible?  If yes, how do I configure Yum to
>do it?
>
>Thanks,
>Charles Li

>http://mail.yahoo.com

yes it is possible, I am doing it at home now ;

1. Use wget with the options -nd --mirror to download.;
Using one machine to download and keep adding newly developed update rpm
packages (Keep coming out every week sometime in 2 days) into a local
folder, this folder is the master folder holding all the update rpm
packages for any and other machines, except first time doing a full
download, after that every time new update are available, wget will only
download those you still don't have in your master folder. For detail
use of wget, use google and enter the key word "wget manual" and you
will  find it and look through it.

2. Use yum to update the system with the master folder that holding all
the update rpm packages downloaded.
You will  find the how-To in Fedoranews.org "How to build a custom Yum
Repository in FC3" by Richard flude under Contributing Articles from
Fedora Community,
Yum will use your downloaded update rpm packages in automatic processing
(It is good even at the first time you do the update with more than 700
rpm packages, that will take more than an hour, if you do it with
up2date via Internet - I would imagin will take more than half date  to
complete per machine!).

3. Update the other machine with the downloaded update rpm packages;
You have at lease 3 options;

Burn those update rpm packages into cds and use these cds to update
other machine as step 2 , but you have to keep adding new update rpm
packages into it soon as new ones are available.

Use rsync to synchronize other machine in a lan with the master fold
which holding all the update rpm packages, this is what I am doing since
I must do multiple backup data into other machine - a simple script will
do . Except the first time doing a full sychronization (full back up
actually), every next time will only synchronize the newly added
packages. This is what I am doing as my update to all other machine with
download rpm packages.

Or you can use yum in a machine which needs update, and point to the
machine (In same lan) where the folder is holding all latest update rpm,
I haven't tried it, but I am sure this is workable.
Hope above will help.