Building FC4 without kernel debugging

Jeffrey Buell jbuell at vmware.com
Tue Apr 26 00:58:35 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 14:40 -0700, Jeffrey Buell wrote:
> > Has anybody compiled the kernel without kernel debugging?
> I've tried with
> > the lastest source (1261) but I still get an undefined reference to
> > irq_ctx_init in function init_IRQ.
> >
> > Jeff
> Absolutely. Always. What steps are you taking?

I made only a few changes to the stock FC4 1261 source:  includexen is set in
kernel-2.6.spec, HIGHMEM is turned off in the config, along with some things
I know I don't need (firewire, infrared, Bluetooth, ISDN, reiserfs, laptops),
as well as kernel debugging.  Just now I tried commenting out the offending
line (i8259.c:428) and now the kernel builds and boots.

Another poster (Jaap Hoetmer) gets the same error message from FC3, so this
doesn't appear to be a new issue.  Furthermore, he narrowed the problem down
to the 4k/8k stack space flag, which is one of the kernel hacking/debug
flags.  Thanks, Jaap, that saved me the trouble of going through all of them
one by one!  I'll try this flag by itself to verify.

David, have you built sucessively with 8k stack?

Does anyone know how/why/if i8259.c:428 is related to the stack space?

Jeff