Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Wed Apr 27 15:13:59 UTC 2005

> On Tuesday 26 April 2005 18:32, rado wrote:
>

> > I saw remarks by Alexander Dalloz and others whom I respect all
> > greatly. They seemed to instill in me that just because the core
> > is released does not mean that there are above avg problems w/it
> > right then. The main public (not just the testers) get a hold of
> > it and bugzilla gets it's share of activity. Given all this, when
> > you think is ideal time to upgrade??? Do it right away...wait a
> > couple months...when???
> >

> I don't think there's a "one size fits all" answer to your question.
> The best  suggestion I can give you is to follow a release right
> from the start.  That is, jump in to the testing phase at some
> point with a spare computer, follow the discussion on the
> fedora-test list and poke at the system to see what problems you
> can find.  This will give you a good feeling for quality of the
> software.  At some point, probably after the "official release"
> you'll be comfortable with the system enough to know if it's ready
> for your own "production" usage.
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke

Hi Mike, thx

my problem is, is that I don't have a test bench anymore...so now I want
to, more or less, take baby steps into it.

as Steve Stern said earlier, maybe wait 3 wks or so...then I'll kinda
test the water... feel what other people are sayin bout it then upgrade
to fc4 if I feel the reports seem good...Thing bout it is...can't wait
forever to do it because then we fighting short legacy.

thx

John Rose

--
rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>