how to setup fc3 to ssh from remote server

Charles Li cli168 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 21:08:28 UTC 2005

--- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Charles Li wrote:
> > --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> >>it

> >>route

> >>Is "fc3-server" in your /etc/hosts file or
> >>resolvable via DNS?  Can
> >>you ping it?  Do you have a default gateway
> >>configured that can get at
> >>it?
> >>
>   > I can ping the fc3-server from the server (S1)
> that I
> > can issuing the ssh.
>
> You didn't say if you can ping it by name or IP
> only.  We need to know
> that.
>
> > fc3-server is not in the S1's /etc/hosts.
>
> If pinging via the IP address works, but pinging via
> the hostname
> doesn't, you either need to enter the IP and
> hostname into /etc/hosts or
> make sure there are appropriate records in your DNS
> service.
>
> > How do I check whether fc3-server is resolvable
> via
> > DNS, and also the gateway?
>
> To check DNS, "# dig fc3-server".  See if you get an
> address back.
>
> Since you can ping it one way or the other, the
> gateway is probably OK.

> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer
> rstevens at vitalstream.com -
> - VitalStream, Inc.
> http://www.vitalstream.com -
> -
>                 -
> -      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and
> the Ferengi.       -
> -  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing
> and Ferengi to  -
> -               do their programming."  -- Simon
> Slavin              -

I am pinging by IP address.  This machine does not
have a name.  Also, I am using the ip address with
SSH.

The following is the dig command output:

[oracle at epic11 oracle]$ dig 172.20.3.53

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> 172.20.3.53
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id:
39845
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1,
ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;172.20.3.53.                   IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       10800   IN      SOA
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. NSTLD.VERISI GN-GRS.COM.
2005042700 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 58 msec
;; SERVER: 199.73.169.33#53(199.73.169.33)
;; WHEN: Wed Apr 27 17:03:13 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 104

Thanks,
Charles Li