Apt-get equivalent in fedora

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Apr 28 02:51:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:32:20PM -0400, Mark Weaver wrote:
> >Well, you could use apt-get itself -- it's available for Fedora. However,
> >the "standard" program is called "yum", and it's basically equivalent. The
> >main thing that'll take some getting used to coming from apt-get is that
> >there's no separate "update" step to get new repository information -- you
> >just do "yum install somepackage" and it automatically checks the network.
> yes...apt-get does "update": "apt-get update" will update the repo
> information and pull down any new listings it finds on the mirrors. Who
> told you apt-get doesn't update?

What? No one told me anything -- I just know from using it. With yum, this
information-retrieval step isn't separate -- it's implied by commands like
"upgrade" or "install".

In fact, the yum command "update" eis equivalent to apt-get's "upgrade", and
yum's "upgrade" is basically apt-get's "dist-upgrade". If you want yum to
*not* get updated package information, give it the -C option.