Apt-get equivalent in fedora

Deboo Geek knowledgeful at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:31:31 UTC 2005

I installed yum but running yup update, just sleeps t here, nothing happens

# yum update
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base

Nothing happens for several minutes after this and I have to press
Ctrl-C. yum --help also doesn't tell anything much or there is no
verbose option either. What should I do?

I'm using a proxy, is that the problem? Where do I configure that?
/etc/yum.conf doesn't have any such mention