Sound controls

cas winter_night at softhome.net
Thu Apr 28 05:04:34 UTC 2005

Hi. I am new to fedora core 3. (previously used mandrake). Everything
installs and appears to run ok except for the sound. I have an internal
via soundcard.

Using gnome xmms comes up with an exception saying that audio cannot be
initialized. Games such as maelstrom and tuxracer have good sound. Xmms
will work if you run it as root but then the games get no sound at all.

Using KDE xmms works fine but sound from the games is laggy and
crackling. This happens whether or not other programs are active.

The soundcard detects and plays the test sound ok. If anyone can provide
advice as to what is causing the problem it would be appreciated.