brute force ssh attack

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Thu Apr 28 15:47:05 UTC 2005

> As Linux becomes more popular, there will be more and more
> 'inexperienced
> sysadmins' -- that is, people who heard that Linux was better
> than Windows
> and just want it to go on their system. Unless we start teaching good
> sysadmin practices in grade school (which I'm all for,
> honestly), this issue
> is going to become more and more of a problem. Education is
> part of the
> solution, and technical measures like SELinux and better
> end-user-targeted
> config tools definitely are too. But saying that this is just
> PBCAK and
> dismissing it as not a real threat is just burying our heads
> in the sand.
>

> --
> Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org

As Linux becomes more popular, education alone will not cut it.
I have two test families running Linux on their home computers
to learn more about the issues that come up when non IT types
try to use Linux.  We already know what happens when they use
Windows.  The machines become horribly polluted with trojans and
viruses.  I swear, I just reworked a Windows machine that had more
trojans than a whore house dumpster.  Back to the point.  These
people have no clue about how the machines work and have no interest
in learning.  If Linux becomes more and more popular with the
residential user, we will not get them to learn to be sys-admins.
In the case of my test families, I alone have the root password
and I monitor the machines on a regular basis, so I am doing the
sysadmin work.

Maybe there is a new market evolving.  Sysadmins for home Linux users.
Use ssh to get to the machine, /etc/hosts.allow limits that exposure,
keep the machine running like a fine watch.  Cron jobs to filter and
email logs to the admin.  Say $10 per month, If you get 200 sign ups,
you could get by.

I agree that if nothing is done, we will be giving ammunition to Bill Gates
to use against Linux.