USB Printer Setup

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Fri Apr 29 00:23:40 UTC 2005

Stanley T. Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 00:48 -0400, Craig wrote:

> I tried the wizard and looked at linuxprinting.org.  The wizard did not
> see the usb printer only /dev/lp0 and ptal.  I tried the instructions on
> linuxprinting.org and went through the CUPS wizard but I do not know
> what usb device the printer is attached to.  How can I find out what
> device it is?

I just had good results configuring a HP 3550 color laser printer by
downloading the HPLIPS drivers from Sourceforge. They work perfectly
while the HP stuff shipped with Fedora failed to work at all. Includes
a tool that will scan your USB and Network and report any printers
that it discovers.

No RPMS, but the source builds and installs perfectly under FC3.

John