Help with login problem!

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 04:16:45 UTC 2005

When I try to ssh to the said account, it doesn't work. The connection
opens, accepts my password and then closes instantly. Trying to "su -
newuser" or "su newuser" result in a "could not open session"
Interestingly enough, FTP does work!

> > >Googling seems to point to permissions problem but I can't figure out
> > >where or what. The /etc/passwd is 644, /etc/group is 644 and
> > >/etc/shadow is 600. Permissions for the home directory are fine too.

Hey,

Can you login into the machine without going through SSH,if you are
able to do so then the problem is with SSH.

Try to restart the SSH service

service sshd restart

You can also check the  /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config files also.
SSH is controlled by these files.

Moreover create one more user try to login the new user through SSH
and also from the FC1 machine also.I

Regards

Ankush