clamav and spamassassin

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Fri Apr 29 13:02:33 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:

| Hey,
|
| Thanks for the earlier reply.
|
|> b) How do I know whether the clamav is working properly or not.
|>
|> ans. through logs..........and through mail headers. the scan
|> result clean or infected is written there........
|

| I checked the logs but i don't see anything regarding the clamav
| .Like the mail is virus free or is scanned by clamav nothing like
| that neither in logs nor in mail headers.

(1)  Be sure you have configured sendmail to operate with clamav, it
isn't as simple as installing the clamav files.
(a)  Edit sendmail.mc and add the lines:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',`S=local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock,F=,T=S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')dnl
define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clmilter')dnl

(b)  Be sure to start the `clamav-milter' service.  Also, check the
run-level.
~    service clamav-milter start
~    chkconfig --list clamav-milter

|> c) As mentioned before clamav is installed on a system running as
|> Mail and Samba server.If there is any windows/linux virus/worm on
|> the machine will the Clamav will clean itself or i have to run
|> the clamav for deletion of those infected files.Does clamav runs
|> automatically once a week for scanning of the system if not I
|> would like to configure clamav for that .Please tell me which
|> clamav file to set for cron and also how to make the clamav do
|> like first cleaning of infected  files and if the cleaning of the
|> infected files is not possible then deleting it.This type of
|> action can be set in Antiviruses in Windows.
|>
|> ans. if u have integrated clamav to run with sendmail........a
|> line has to written in sendmail, then it will automatically scan
|> all the mails for all types of worms which are coming on port 25
|> or handled by sendmail.
|

| I am using postfix and I want clamav to scan every file going
| through Postfix.How do I configure clamav to check all the mails
| .Moreover what about the samba shares I want clamav to scan those
| shares atleast once in a week .

(2)  Lots of questions:
~    (a)  ClamAV does not set itself up to scan your system on a
regular basis.  Most Linux boxes don't need this level.  You can setup
a cron job to scan though.  Look up clamscan, clamdscan in the man
pages.  They describe the commands needed.
~    (b)  Google samba-vscan-clamav for the samba module that allows
samba scanning automatically.  It is a bit slow for large files
though.  It uses samba's vfs options.
~    (c)  I'd only use postfix if absolutely necessary.  Sendmail with
clamav allows the user immediate notification that the email has a
virus!  It will scan the mail as the user's computer is sending the
file.  Postfix will accept the mail then scan it later.
~    (d)  ClamAV does not support cleaning the infected file.  The scan
using options in (a) above will only tell you which files look like
they have a virus.  The (b) option allows quarantining of files.  But
no clamav option will allow for cleaning of the files.  This may be a
future option, you may be able to write.

| Thanks & Regards
|
| Ankush

Good Luck, and have fun,
James