clamav and spam assassin

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Fri Apr 29 13:19:00 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:

|Hey friends,
|
| I recently configured Mail server and Samba server on FC3 for my
|company.Both the servers are on the same machine.I have few questions.
|
|a) I have installed clamav and when i run freshclam from the command
|prompt it updates itself the cron is automatically set when I
|installed it.Now the question is how I can know the date of the update
|means in Windows you can see the virus definitions date on the
|Antivirus ,I want to see the same date on the clamav so that I should
|be able to know whether the clamav is getting updated or not and If it
|is not getting updated i should run the freshclam once a weekly
|manually.

~From any terminal type the command:
~    cat /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
You will see things like this in the log:
- --------------------------------------
Received signal 14, wake up
ClamAV update process started at Thu Apr 28 09:13:27 2005
main.cvd is up to date (version: 31, sigs: 33079, f-level: 4, builder:
tkojm)
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 857, sigs: 796, f-level: 4, builder:
ccordes)
- --------------------------------------
Received signal 14, wake up
ClamAV update process started at Thu Apr 28 10:13:27 2005
main.cvd is up to date (version: 31, sigs: 33079, f-level: 4, builder:
tkojm)
daily.cvd updated (version: 858, sigs: 797, f-level: 4, builder: diego)
Database updated (33876 signatures) from db.us.clamav.net (IP:
209.200.146.2)
Clamd successfully notified about the update.
- --------------------------------------
Most of them will be like the first one.  Freshclam checks about every
hour for updates.

|b) How do I know whether the clamav is working properly or not.

??? How do you define working.  If you have it installed the next step
would be to configure it for all your options.

|c) As mentioned before clamav is installed on a system running as Mail
|and Samba server.If there is any windows/linux virus/worm on the
|machine will the Clamav will clean itself or i have to run the clamav
|for deletion of those infected files.Does clamav runs automatically
|once a week for scanning of the system if not I would like to
|configure clamav for that .Please tell me which clamav file to set for
|cron and also how to make the clamav do like first cleaning of
|infected  files and if the cleaning of the infected files is not
|possible then deleting it.This type of action can be set in
|Antiviruses in Windows.

See my previous / later reply....

|d) I want to configure spam assassin As spam assassin is installed and
| running I want to configure for few lists .Please tell me any
|tutorials or the configuration for spam assassin.

I haven't gotten to spamassasin yet.
Look in /usr/share/doc/spamassassin*  for information.  Sometimes you
have to read the documentation.

|Thanks & Regards
|
|Ankush

James