brute force ssh attack

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 14:26:05 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:

>>> Generally, very bad idea.  Unless you know exactly what you are
>>> doing, which you obviously don't.
>>

>> What's the harm? I mean, assuming you're planning on doing a limited,
>> controlled experiment?
>

> Was it controlled?  Was it really limited?  Judging from original post,
> I wouldn't be suprised if his entire local network got infected.

Why? I would be very surprised if it was. It requires infected files to be
manually transferred from system to system.

Unless Daniel actually transferred an infected file to another system, or he
has filesystems cross-mounted with write permission I don't see how they
would be infected. Doing either on a system you are testing to see how long
it takes to be compromised would be just as daft as running binaries
installed by a cracker when root...

... Ok, maybe his network is infected.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555