how to turn on/off the bloody KDE screen saver from a script

Birt, Jeffrey birtj at umr.edu
Fri Apr 29 18:10:54 UTC 2005

I'm trying to figure out how to shut off the bloody screen saver in KDE
from a script.  I've tried using xset as such:

# xset s off
# xset dpms 0 0 0
# xset dpms force off

And xscreensaver like this:

#xscreensaver-command -exit

Of course going into the KDE control panel and deselecting it works but
I want to be able to control it from a script.  The xscreensaver man
pages said something about KDE creating a wrapper around xscreensaver
and suggested turning of the KDE version and autostarting xscreensaver
itself.  I'm sure there has to be a way of programmatically controlling
it, no?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff Birt
Electronics Engineer