FC3, firewire,raid1,reiserfs=crash

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:19:04 UTC 2005

I recently installed FC3 on a machine that had been working with FC1
with software RAID1 between an internal 250gig IDE drive and a matching
drive in an USB/firewire case (using firewire).  I was hoping that FC3
would detect the firewire drive at bootup in time to connect the
raid devices instead of having to re-sync later.   However, not only
does it not see the drive at all during a reboot (but it will when
hot-plugged later), when the system is running with the raid connected
it will crash after some random amount of time, so far not exceeding
a day.  Is this a known problem?  I haven't been able to find anything
that sounds like exactly like this, and it may or may not be related
to the filesystem on the raid being reiserfs.  So far, by the time I've
noticed the machine being hung the screen has been blanked and nothing
is being logged so I don't have much to go on except that it is stable
with the firewire drive missing from the raid.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com