Won't boot to X after install

neidorff neidorff at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 17:27:38 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

This is about a fresh install of FC3 that won't boot into X to
complete the install (post install steps).

The system:
 1.8 GHz Athlon XP
ASUS A7V333 mb
1 Gig ram
Buslogic 958 SCSI controller
18 Gig SCSI drive (seagate)
NVIDIA graphics  64Mb (I forgot which chip it is, but it is AGP 4X)

Downloaded & verified the FC3 CDs.  Booted CD 1 and tested all media.
All passed.  Then, installed onto a clean HDD.  I selected my packages
(custom install) and install proceeded without problem.  At the end of
the install, it asked me to reboot.  I did.  The system came up to the
point of a grey screen with a large mouse pointer.  No desktop loaded.
 I checked the consoles and they showed no errors.  I created 3
partitions:  1--boot (500Mb) 2--home (10Gig) 3--/ (7.5Gig or so).  I
can mount these partitions from my RH 7.3 installation, and it shows
that none of them filled up.

Will someone please help me fix this system so that it can boot and I
can configure it?

Many thanks,

Mark