Getting FC3 to see a Benq FP767 -- UPDATE

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 30 19:53:27 UTC 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:27:03 -0400, I beartooth wrote:

[....]
> I've just tried a trick I thought might work and even be safer -- and got
> my comeuppance, I guess.
>
> I copied the whole XF86Config from FC1 onto a floppy; moved FC3's
> xorg.config to xorg.config.orig (to distinguish it from the backup already
> there -- which I haven't looked at); and copied the file from the floppy
> onto a new xorg.conf.
[....]
> When I told it OK to disable, it put me at a text login. I suppose I
> should login as root -- and then what?
[....]

The shower is always a good place to think. <grin>

I did log in as root; did cd /etc/X11; moved xorg.conf to something else;
copied my xorg.conf.orig to a new xorg.conf; and did "shutdown -r now."

That restored the status quo ante. (Hey, I may learn some of the basics
yet!)

Then I went into the GUI for Display, and made sure it was set to Benq
FP767. (Good thought: turned out I'd left it on generic lcd 1280x1024;
dunno if that made a real difference, though ...)

Logged out and back in; su'd to root, did "cd /etc/X11" and then "pico -w
xorg.conf" (one of these days I've gotta buckle down and learn vi or emacs ...)

Using my very best emulation of a porcupine making love, I changed the
numbers to Jack Spaar's. My section "Screen" has a second subsection
"Display" with depth 8 and only the two bottom "YxZ" entries; I left that
alone.

Told pico to save it, logged out and back in. Still no joy. Rebooted.
*Still* no joy.

In fact, the GUI for Display now gave me no choice of resolution at all! I
had to switch it to generic lcd 1280x1024 even to be able to get back to
800x600.

Would it help to delete that second display subsection?

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 12&3, YDL 4; Pine 4.62, Pan 0.14.2; Privoxy 3.0.1;