Error message on start up

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Apr 30 21:24:04 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 30.04.2005 schrieb Duncan Lithgow um 22:52:

> > > Can someone help me by explaining how I can overcome the following error message:-
> > >
> > > Could not look up internet address for x1-6-00-11-2f-35-38-bf.
> > > This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.
> > > It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
> > > x1-6-00-11-2f-35-38-bf to the file /etc/hosts.
> > >
> > > It's my first day using Fedora and i'm totally new to Linux.
> >
> > > Chris
> >
> > Simply specify a hostname in system-config-network. Something like
> > "fedora.home.lan" would be ok.

> Duncan

Yes, a short answer to solve the problem - no explanation so far. Is it
needed? It was explained several times here on the list.
The basis is that no hostname is set and so it is localhost /
localhost.localdomain. Then connecting to the internet the hostname
changes (the network scripts cause this) and becomes something based on
what the ISP's DNS server gives back. As this is not set in the
/etc/hosts file to be mapped to 127.0.0.1 something like Gnome display
manager on (networked) X can can problems.
To avoid this situation it is good to set a hostname. Either by running
the GUI tool system-config-network or by hand editing
/etc/sysconfig/network (HOSTNAME=) and /etc/hosts.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 23:18:44 up 18 days, 19:59, load average: 0.25, 0.31, 0.24