How to start a program that must be run from a shell

Oisin Curtin Oisin.Curtin at PhoenixFltOps.com
Fri Apr 1 00:02:36 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> Excuse me if this is another answer in my face question:
> I have a simple program - in order to run it, I have to open a shell and
>  type in the program name and arguments; it then opens a second shell or
> window depending on the arguments and runs - this is dosemu for the
> inquisitive a 'dos in a box' program to run dos legacy stuff.
>
> I would like to create a simple executable script that I could place on
> my desktop to run this sequence. I can't figure out how. I've tried
> simply writing a one line file that contains the program and arguments,
> and making that executable, but that doesn't work. I think there's that
> extra step of invoking a shell first that has to happen. If I press
> alt-f2 and type in the program in the command window, that works, so how
> do I turns those two steps into one executable?

The first line of your file must be "#!/bin/bash" to invoke the shell.
The Hash-Bang (#!) in the first two bytes act like a magic number to
tell the loader to look for a (full path to) a program that will read
your command.  All you need is the two lines:

#!/bin/bash
dosemu -whatever

--
Oisin "Magic answer" Curtin