Xine Playback Choppy

I have an Inspiron 6000 with fedora core 3 kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3. I have researched playing dvd's with xine and i ran the xine testing app. It tells me that dma is disabled. I cannot re-enable dma. I posted to the dell forums about problems playing dvd's. A SuSE guy replied and said the latest kernel changed the pata drive from /dev/hdc to /dev/sdc0. At notebookforums they say they "unblacklisted CD/DVDs from the libsata code." I was hoping for a way to fix this problem. Any help or ideas appreciated.

dell post: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux&message.id=5969

notebookforums: http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?p=765582#post765582

Todd