Ghost 2003 and FC 3

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Apr 1 03:21:42 UTC 2005

On 31 Mar 2005 at 21:44, RL wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:44:16 -0500
From:           	RL <rlurman at gmail.com>
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:        	Ghost 2003 and FC 3
Send reply to:  	RL <rlurman at gmail.com>,
       	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> I just got a DVD writer for my FC 3 machine so I could ghost the
> entire drive.  I have Norton Ghost 2003.  I remember having no
> problems ghosting other Linux distros.  When I try to ghost this time,
> however, it errors at the start with a read sector failure.  Is this a
> known issue? Ghost 2003 should work with ext3 filesystems just fine.
> Are there any other good ghosting progs?  I have used "g4u" with
> FreeBSD and it is real nice; however, I'd rather have something to
> backup an entire hard-drive right on to a DVD.
>
> --

This is a know problem with Norton Ghost. It gets an error with the
FC3 partitions. It does work if you have it do the sector mode image,
but then it is copying all sectors of the disk, and is much slower and
creates a larger file.

Both G4U and G4L have no problem with the imaging of the
systems, but neither currently allows for DVD imaging.

> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list at redhat.com

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  16,039
Processing time:  30 years, 186 days,  1 hours,  9 minutes
(Total Hours: 267,265)