wierd browsers problem under fedora core 3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 16:55:16 UTC 2005

Ahmed Abdel-Aliem wrote:
> using mozilla and firefox i can't connect to somesited like gmail.com
> for example, and if i open it in konqueror it opens with no problems,
> and if i open those sites in mozilla and firefox while opening them in
> konqueror they open with no problems, and if i close konqueror they
> stop working.
>
> also if i use gaim to open my yahoo messenger account it doesn't open,
> and when i installed yahoo messenger for linux it works fine and if i
> open my yahoo messenger account from gain while opening it in yahoo
> messenger it open instantly with no problems.

As you say, weird.

Can you try the commands
ping gmail.com
and
ping 64.233.161.107
while you (a) don't have anything open; (b) just have mozilla open; (c)
have konqueror and mozilla open; and (d) just have konqueror open?

It sounds as though konqueror is doing something to establish a
connection. No idea what, though.

What sort of Internet connection do you use? ADSL? If so, do you have a
modem or a router or something else, and does it connect via Ethernet or
USB (or something else[1])?

James.

[1] RFC 1149?

--
E-mail address: james | Space Opera: General term for a subgenre of adventure
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | SF in which the men are heroic, the women beautiful,