firefox not offering the right plugins

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:35:32 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 11:32 AM, jim lawrence <fedorajim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005 10:42 AM, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I looks at Edit--Preferences--Downloads, I see a list of plugins
> > that looks like this:
> >
> > PDF     PDF File                    acroread
> >             Windows WMV File        gmplayer
> > DOC     DOC File                   openoffice.org-1.9
> >
> > That is what I want, and it reflects what I have set by checking the
> > "always use this from now on" checkbox, when offered the option.
> >
> > But when I click on a link for a wmv, firefox offers totem as the
> > default; when I click on a PDF, it offers kpdf as the default; and
> > when I click on a DOC it offers oowriter (v 1.1.3) as the default. I
> > have to go search for the app I really want every time.
> >
> > So it looks like Firefox is writing to one settings file, but reading
> > from another. This is Firefox 1.02, installed and updated regularly
> > via yum. I only noticed the problem pretty recently, maybe in the last
> > month or two. Maybe it's related to a recent firefox update?
> >
> > Any suggestions? I tried grepping through ~/.mozilla/firefox for any
> > files containing "totem," just to see if I could change the list of
> > helper apps manually, but I couldn't find anything that included totem
> > in the first place.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
> >
> > --
> >
> For giggles in your browser  type in the address  about:plugins
> See if you have mplayer  if not
> yum install mplayerplug-in
>
> if you don't usse totum just remove it

Thanks. Mplayer is installed and working. I realize I was pretty
unclear about this, now, but literal "plugins" work. That is, when
something is embedded in the html page, mplayerplug-in plays it fine.
It's when it's a direct link just to the file (whether .pdf, .wmv.
.avi, .doc, or whatever) that Firefox doesn't handle it the way it
says it will. What we used to call "helper apps" don't get offered up
according to what Firefox says it will do. It says it will default to
openoffice.org-1.9, but then it defaults to oowriter (1.1.3) instead.

I cannot find a reference to totem anywhere in my homedir, yet when I
click on a link to a WMV file, firefox wants to run totem. I'll remove
totem, but that doesn't sound like it will get gmplayer to start
instead.

Thanks!