OT: Evolution New Mail Notification

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Apr 1 17:47:25 UTC 2005

I'm running FC3 on my laptop using the gnome desktop. Gnome is version
2.8.0-3. My evolution version is 2.0.2-3. I can't get any new mail
notification to work. I tried upgrading evolution with apt but ran into
some other issues (see bottom). Not sure it would fix anything anyway.

>From the archives it sounds like a known problem. Just wondering if
there are any other ideas on setting up a mail notification. I thought
about one of the utilities such as gnubiff, but I'm guessing they look
directly at the mail server just like a client, so you could have timing
problems with Evolution and gnubiff looking at different times. You
would ending up missing some notifications here and there, but I guess
it would be better than none at all.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
James

# apt-get install evolution
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  evolution-data-server libgal2 libsoup
The following packages will be upgraded
  evolution evolution-data-server libgal2 libsoup
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 99 not upgraded.
Need to get 12.2MB of archives.
After unpacking 1097kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/updates libsoup
2.2.2-1.FC3 [120kB]
Get:2 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/updates
evolution-data-server 1.0.4-3 [1083kB]
Get:3 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/updates libgal2
2:2.2.5-1 [681kB]
Get:4 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/3/i386/updates evolution
2.0.4-2 [10.4MB]
Fetched 12.2MB in 1m13s (167kB/s)
Committing changes...
[100%]
        file /usr/lib/libgal-2.2.so.1 from install of libgal2-2.2.5-1
conflicts with file from package libgal2.2_1-2.2.3-3_5.rhfc3.at
        file /usr/lib/libgal-a11y-2.2.so.1 from install of
libgal2-2.2.5-1 conflicts with file from package
libgal2.2_1-2.2.3-3_5.rhfc3.at
E: Error while running transaction