Re: screen flashing to black every several seconds

Claude Jones wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:

Download all the xorg related rpms into a local directory and then run the command below from within this directory where you placed the rpms.

rpm -Uvh *.rpm --oldpackage

while you are root and preferably you are out of X and in a terminal. This should replace the new packages with the older versions. If you find that there are additional programs/libraries that also need to be rolled back, place these rpms within this directory and repeat the command above again.

I would *not* advice rpm -e or yum erase for going back in X versioning.

I have spent the better part of this day trying to understand how to do this without damaging my system. I learned much, but I was still far from feeling confident about trying something. Thank you for these instructions...

One added note regarding this procedure. It might be wise to do an
rpm -qa |grep xorg
To see which rpms that are currently installed on the system. The reason is that the U means that any package installed or not will be upgraded/installed. The F (freshen) option did not seem to work for me when trying to downgrade with --oldpackage option to rpm.

The procedure worked for several that tried this to downgrade xorg-x11 packages when a major failure hit us on testing FC3 to be.

It is safer than removing x packages via rpm -e and does not remove your desktop managers like yum erase xorg-x11 would do.

Jim

--
I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get.  :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <10502 jpl-devvax JPL NASA GOV>