DVD/CD rom unmount problem

Kevin kvonb at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 08:46:20 UTC 2005

Why do I have to reboot to change DVD/CDs?  This is
driving me crazy!  It works sometimes, then all of a
sudden it refuses to unmount, refuses to eject, tells
me that it is already unmounted, or any random
combination of the above.  I resorted to the old
paperclip which made things worse!  I try umount -f
/dev/cdrom, umount -f /dev/hdc nothing, it reports
that it is not mounted, and sometimes that it is
busy.....AAARRRGGGHHH!

I am runnimg FC2, KDE, and automount turned off, fstab
reads: /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
This is a ying-tong DVD rom, which works perfectly
otherwise, and works fine under windows.  I have tried
to remove the entry in /etc/mtab, this seems to
totally lobotomise it!  Please help, itś getting
close to HAMMER TIME!!!!!

Is there a ¨blitzkreig¨ command that will drop
EVERYTHING related to CD drives and just spit them out
or something.  Why do we have to be slaves to our
computers, surely when we press a button, we should
get a result, not have to wait for the system to grant
us the privilege of itś attention!  Let the
revolution commence comrades ;)

Regards........Kev :)

http://au.movies.yahoo.com