Grub sucks with Error 13!!!

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:37:01 UTC 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 2:09 PM, Raghavendra Moktali <rmoktali at vsnl.net> wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Sa, den 02.04.2005 schrieb Didier Casse um 18:53:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
> >
> > Alexander
> >

> hi,
> i have installed FC3 by using this method, everything's fine but if i
> hibernate xp, i am not able to boot linux.
> did not have this problem when grub was installed on the mbr
> any comments or solutions?
> --
> Raghavendra Moktali

Hi Raghavendra,
Well, you are using the Windows bootloader to chainload to GRUB.
Since you cannot boot Linux, hibernating must bypass the normal
Windows bootloader and go straight to the restore.  There is an option
to press F8 while Windows is restoring from hibernation.  You can
press F8 to cancel the restore and bring you back to the boot menu,
which I would assume should allow you to boot Linux.  Note that this
will delete the hibernation data, so you will have to reboot Windows
the next time you want to boot to Windows.  So, it looks like your
best options are: move GRUB back to the MBR and use it as your primary
bootloader, or don't hibernate when you know you want to boot to Linux
and use the cancel restore option when you have hibernated and want to
boot to Linux.  I highly suggest using GRUB on the MBR, I do this and
hibernation works great and I can still boot Linux.

Jonathan