Can't reboot, shutdown, or init 3 [I've been root-kitted, please advise]

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Apr 3 04:56:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
> > I can't reboot, shutdown, or init 3. And I keep gettign sgmentation
> > fault errors
> >
> > On any of these attempts i get:
> >
> > /dev/null
> > RK_Init: idt=0xc03a3000, FUCK: IDT table read failed (offset 0xc03a3000)
> >
> > I'm going to bring my server down now, please advise.
> >
> Looks like i've been root ktited :(
>
> My googling turned up this, which shows a case of my symptoms.
>
> :(
>
> How do I recover from this

If you have been rooted, you need to reinstall. It is the only way to be sure
you got rid of it. If there is stuff you need, I would suggest installing another
disk and install to it. Then you could install the old drive and mount the
partitions with your data on it and retreive it. You can also do some inspection
to try to figure out what happened. Just be careful not to run anything from the
old drive or you might be in trouble again.

If what I just suggested makes no sense to you, you might be better off just
reinstalling and move on with life. The problem is you will never know what you
did wrong and you WILL lose everything on the old installation. If you decide
to reinstall just be sure to format the partitions. Again keep im mind you will
lose EVERYTHING!!

HTH,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com