Need LVM help.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Apr 3 10:21:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 05:06 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> I am trying to help a person who has a system with two 250G hard disks
> (non-SCSI). He would like to use the two disks (or partitions from the
> two disks) as a single LVM volume. Now I have read the HOWTO for LVM
> but I am still confused. The answers to some questions would be
> helpful. We are using FC3.
>
> If the disks are partitioned as follows:
> /dev/hda
> 	/dev/hda1 -> /boot
> 	/dev/hda2 -> /swap
> 	/dev/hda3 ->  ?
> /dev/hdb
>         /dev/hdb1 ->  ?
>
> I have tried to create the LVM volumes using disk druid.
>
> What we would like to do is combine /dev/hda3 and /hdb1 into a logical
> volume. Does that make sense as a goal?

Yes.

> I assume that the Logical Volume could be mounted at /

Yes.

> Now the real questions?
> /dev/hda3 and /dev/hdb1 have been set to type 8e by disk druid.

Yes.

> 1. How does the reference to the Logical volume appear in grub.conf? Does
> the device.map deal with this?

It doesn't. Grub doesn't know (or need to know) about logical volumes
because it only needs to access the regular partition /boot to boot
Linux.

> 2. How does the reference to the logical volume appear in fstab?

Probably something like this:
/dev/VolumeGroupName/LogVolName / ext3 defaults 1 1

Or it might use the "LABEL=/" syntax instead.

> 3. Can the Fedora 3 rescue disk deal with a system with this
> structure? Can it mount the Logical Volume? Again how do I refer to it
> in the mount arguments?

Yes it can but I've never needed to do it myself so I don't know the
specifics.

> 4. And am I completely off base with my questions, since I suspect
> that I really don't know what I am doing?

Did you read the LVM HOWTO?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>