firefox: java_vm stays active forever!

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 21:07:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

Ie noticed a weird thing here. I using firefox and, whenever I open a
web page that needs java, for example,

http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/txtbk2/btube.htm

it opens a java_vm process. So far so good. The problem is that, if I
close the tab (or even the window) that needed the java, or go to
another page that doesn need java, the java_vm process just stays
there forever. It never stops, unless I close all instances of
firefox, or kill the process manually, which crashes firefox
completely.

Is there anywhere I can set it to kill the java_vm process when it's
not needed anymore? (I know I can do that in Konqueror, so I thought
it should be possible in Firefox as well...)

Thanks,

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680