FC3-font issue

Leaf grove.warden at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 00:50:38 UTC 2005

On Sunday 03 April 2005 18:15, P Jones wrote:
> > I am a teacher and have a lot of slides developed in OO while using FC2.
> > I upgraded my home machine to FC3 and all text in slides is different:
> > interspacing is bigger and text falls off the slide. At work I still
> > have FC2 and it is ok. I can project, any new thing I do is not
> > portable, or have to re-edit dozens of slides!!! My work is jeopardized.
> > I have not found a way to configure this, Is there one?
> > FC3 OO version: 1.1.2 but also 1.1.3 , kernel 2.6.10-1.770
> > FC2 OO version 1.1.2 same kernel
> > Its the same file, created under OO Impress, with Nimbus Roman 9 ,
> > single interspace as main font. Also happens with others like Avant
> > Garde, New Roman etc.
> > And it is not only one but all files: other people files too. Just
> > opening it in a machine with FC2 (this one at work) and another with FC3
> > (my laptop or home) and there you go: interspacing at more than 100%
> > (132% or so if I remember well): All text boxes all text slides
> > everything overflows all margins.
> > Of course, the material I'm talking about is a live material and if my
> > editing tool is OO, ....I am thinking about retiring FC3 and re-install
> > FC2.. Unless someone comes up with a solution, I just can't afford to
> > invest hours and hours to arrange formatting, what will happen in FC4 ?
> > There has to be something somewhere to configure it!!
> > Thanks for any comments!
> > --
> > Virginia Escuder Cabañas
>
> Hi Virginia;
>
> I've redirected your email to the list. I had a noticeable problem
> with OOo in FC3 as well. Spacing around the default font, which I
> believe to be Luxi Sans, is significantly different than it was in FC2
> and FC1. For some bizarre reason, and I've repeated this on three
> different machines, much of the problem goes away if you use GNOME as
> your desktop. XFCE doesn't suffer from the problem either. In KDE,
> font spacing in the menus and the applications is bad.
>
> What I've done to get around the problem is to switch to GNOME, which
> I find very tolerable in FC3, and in Ubuntu Hoary, which has GNOME
> 2.10, it's become my favorite desktop. Then, as much as I like the
> Luxi fonts for interface fonts, I've switched to the Bitstream Vera
> fonts for interface. Vera Sans is a lot wider than Luxi Sans, but very
> readable at small font sizes (I like 8 pt. for my desktop and web
> browsing default size).
>
> I recall some thread somewhere mentioning that the Luxi font's spacing
> had in fact changed, so it wasn't a Fedora issue so much as an
> upstream issue, but I could be completely wrong there.
>
> Anyway, try switching to GNOME and then open your OOo documents from
> there. Does the problem go away?
>
> By the way, the other issue I had was that installing the MS Web Fonts
> caused OOo to consider Arial to be the default font. Not sure why that
> happened either. So I uninstalled them and the problem went away. I
> [...]

Very odd, I just started using FC3 a few days ago and I prefer KDE, I was
installing the msttcorefonts along with some other fonts I had downloaded and
my font settings "flaked out", for lack of a better term.  I have been
working with the settings but still haven't figured out what happened nor
have I managed to return them to what they initially were.  I do not think
this is a KDE issue as I was using 3.4 with PCLinuxOS with no issue, and
Kubuntu had a font issue of it's own it seemed.

If FC4 does correct this or it never occurs if you do a fresh install, please
post something to this effect as I will be immediately jumping on that test
cycle as well.