Can't reboot, shutdown, or init 3 [help]

Kevin kvonb at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 04:28:03 UTC 2005

The first thing I would do is scour the net for
recovery software which supports ext2 (the most
prominent on in my mind being spinrite v6
www.grc.com), most of which will attempt recovery and
NOT write to the drive AT ALL.  Most of these run a
free version of MSDOS, so there is no mounting or
possibility of anything writing to the drive.  I just
spent 2 weeks (18+hours a day) recovering my 160gig
and managed to get all of what I needed.  I found it
was worth the effort for several reasons:

1) I got valuable files back, saving me weeks of
config options
2) it made me appreciate the need for greater system
security
3) I gained an understanding of file systems, storage
methods and recovery options
4) made me apply better storage methods with data
recovery in mind (hindsight), ie zero-ing a drive
before use, and using seperate partitions for
constantly changing data, ie /var /home et al
4) encouraged me to have multiple backups and to test
backups rather than just relying on one simple
tarball!

The sad thing is tha these are all things I already
knew, it's computer systems 101 stuff!

I guess complacency is a side effect of age and
experience!