nfs4 mount + path involving symlink = wrong behavior

Will Partain will.partain at verilab.com
Mon Apr 4 11:59:21 UTC 2005

Hi, all; this is filed as Bug 153082 on bugzilla.redhat.com.  I am
posting it here, in case others {are seeing it, have ideas}.

bugzilla report: if I remove the 'fstype=nfs4' from the automountery
on the client, it works correctly.

[client is FC3 i386; server is FC3 x86_64; both fully up-to-date]

The server is exporting...:

  /._disc1 quidditch.verilab.com(rw,sync,fsid=0,insecure,no_subtree_check) [other hosts]

The client (quidditch) is mounting /home/partain via /etc/auto_home ...

  partain -fstype=nfs4,rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,retry=5,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,udp,intr	srv1.verilab.com:/home/partain

If, on the client, I now set up...:

   cd /etc
   sudo ln -s /home/partain/wibble test-wibble

and then (somewhere)

   mkdir -p /home/partain/wibble/bin

and create a script /home/partain/wibble/bin/foo

   #!/usr/bin/env sh
   echo hello NFS bug

Now... /home/partain is _not_ mounted on quidditch; I do (from another machine)

   % ssh quidditch /etc/test-wibble/bin/foo
   sh: /etc/test-wibble/bin/foo: /usr/bin/env: bad interpreter: Is a directory

/home/partain will be mounted now; if I run it immediately again:

   % ssh quidditch /etc/test-wibble/bin/foo
   hello NFS bug

This is very wrong :-)

If (with /home/partain not mounted) I avoid the symlink in /etc, I get

   partain at hagrid% ssh quidditch /home/partain/wibble/bin/foo
   hello NFS bug

which is correct.  All insight welcome!

Will