Connect linux PC to linux PC

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon Apr 4 19:46:01 UTC 2005

The elder gods, manifesting through jim lawrence, recently decreed:
> On Apr 4, 2005 3:22 PM, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
>>
>> jim lawrence wrote:
>>
>> | Is there a GUI for ssh it is running on the Desktop now
>> | For me just to connect to it, and maybe browse it?  then copy files to
>> | and from ?
>>
>> If you want this GUI type stuff, you need to install KDE.
>>
>> | ssh work for this?
>>
>> ssh itself is mainly used to literally log into a remote machine and get
>> a shell.
>>
>> However it comes with this other program scp, which allows the encrypted
>> file transfer action between machines.
>>
>> So what you can do is
>>
>> ssh username at hostname
>>
>> to get a remote shell, where you can use cd, ls -l, and whatever to poke
>> around on the remote server to see what is where, and then when you
>> identify the file you need to copy, run scp as I described before in a
>> second terminal window.
>>
>> - -Andy
>>
> ok I get a timeout error
> [jim at JimsNotebook ~]$ ssh jim at 192.169.1.50
> ssh: connect to host 192.169.1.50 port 22: Connection timed out
> I tried the Pc's name but didn't recognize it Bummer :(
> [jim at JimsNotebook ~]$ ssh jim at localhost
> ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
> [jim at JimsNotebook ~]$

Sounds to me like the openssh daemon is not running on either machine.  I
don't have my Linux box in front of me, so I can't tell you off the top of
my head how to take care of that.

Make sure that sshd is installed and running.

Could it be a firewall issue?  Does the firewall on .50 allow for ssh
connections?

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)