Connect linux PC to linux PC

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 4 19:47:25 UTC 2005

Andy Green wrote:

> jim lawrence wrote:
>
> | Is there a GUI for ssh it is running on the Desktop now
> | For me just to connect to it, and maybe browse it?  then copy files to
> | and from ?
>
> If you want this GUI type stuff, you need to install KDE.
>
> | ssh work for this?
>
> ssh itself is mainly used to literally log into a remote machine and get
> a shell.
>
> However it comes with this other program scp, which allows the encrypted
> file transfer action between machines.
>
> So what you can do is
>
> ssh username at hostname
>
> to get a remote shell, where you can use cd, ls -l, and whatever to poke
> around on the remote server to see what is where, and then when you
> identify the file you need to copy, run scp as I described before in a
> second terminal window.

Actually, ssh is a gateway to a lot of stuff.  It sets up a secure
connection between machines.  At its lowest level, yes, it gives you a
shell.  However, as you pointed out, scp uses the ssh to tunnel a remote
copy session so it's secure.  Ditto with sftp (secure ftp tunneled over
the ssh session).  Also ditto with "vncviewer -via host host2" (secure
VNC session tunneled over the ssh session) and a raft of other things.
-                Huked on foniks reely wurked for me!                -