FC 4, test cycles, etc.

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 5 00:49:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 14:31 -0500, Leaf wrote:
> I am about to change my machines and will need to install an OS from scratch.
> I am interested in jumping into FC 4 but I would like to know how upgrading
> through the test cycles is handled and once FC 4 becomes finalized if I would
> be able to just move into the official realease without much problems OR if
> fresh installs between phases is the acceptable, headache-free norm?

Test releases can and do break sometimes. Sometimes they break *badly*.
That's why they're test releases... so bugs and problems can be found
and solutions tested. It is *NOT* recommended to upgrade between test
release cycles and the final release. It might work, but it's (IMNSHO)
not a good idea at all.

If you're going to do work on these machines, then stick to FC3 and wait
for FC4 when it comes out. If you don't care about the small probability
that at some point they might break badly and spend two or three days
being badly broken and unusable, and those two or three days of downtime
don't bother you... then hey, please help test FC4!

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>