How to upgarde versions through apt/yum - possible ?

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 14:46:12 UTC 2005

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Is it possible to upgrade versions using apt / yum ? I use synaptic
> and  when I 'refresh', only packages for the present version are
> listed.  However I have desisted the idea of setting higher version in
> repositories  list as upgrading might be lot more than just installing
> newer version rpms
>
> Parameshwara Bhat

I understand your question about "upgrading" as asking about changing
from one Fedora Core distribution to another as in FC2 --> FC3.   If
that is the case, you may be able to find something through Google that
describes a procedure for upgrading a system through an ftp conection.
Upgrading through synaptic might work, but I don't think
synaptic/yum/up2date are designed to do that.

I am no expert, but I think downloading the isos for the later
distribution you are interested in and then choosing the upgrade option
for installation would likely be a safer route than trying to do it
through synaptic.  Since "upgrade" is offered as an installation
option,  the task was anticipated and designed into the installation
program (anaconda).

FWIW